The Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie
We decided a hike would be the perfect way to kick off this holiday weekend, so I knew we needed something pretty substantial to get us through until lunch.
On days like this, I always add some almond butter or peanut butter to our smoothies, which served as the inspiration for this smoothie. It definitely did the trick… considering we were up at 6am and didn’t eat lunch until 11:30. 🙂 Plus, I needed some extra fuel to carry the 25 pounds on my back. (I love how we kept telling B how awesome he was doing… when all he was doing was lounging on my back eating a snack bar. 😉 ).
This version doesn’t contain jelly, per say, since jelly tends to have a lot of sugar in it. Instead, I just used whole fruit (strawberries and blackberries in my case, but blueberries and cherries could work well too!) plus a pitted date for some natural sweetness.
Also, don’t feel the need to stick to peanut butter. Paleo fans can try almond or cashew butter… or even sunbutter if you so desire!
Happy Memorial Day Weekend, friends!
The PB&J (or AB&J) Smoothie!
Ingredients (makes one serving):
- 1 cup of almond or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. of peanut butter, another type of nut butter or sun butter
- Half a cup of fruit (berries or cherries)
- Half an avocado (for extra creaminess)
- 1 pitted date (optional… for a little more natural sweetness)
- 1-2 scoops of Shaklee’s Life protein powder (I used the “Plain ‘n Simple” but the strawberry or even the vanilla would work well!)
Directions: Just blend together and enjoy!