Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Brownies
What’s better than gooey chocolate loaded brownies? A cleaner, gluten-free, vegan version topped with salted caramel, of course! We made these for Super Bowl Sunday and let me tell ya- they were a hit (although, thankfully, there were a few leftover for me to eat the day after… YUM!) The original recipe by Petite Allergy Treats was our inspiration for these yummy treats (with a few mods based on what we had in the kitchen + an addition of Lily’s Baking Chips, which are fair trade, all-natural dark chocolate chips, slightly sweetened with all-natural Stevia!). Whip up a batch as soon as possible- you won’t be disappointed!
- 2 cups gluten-free baking flour (such as Pamela’s GF baking mix)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthum gum
- 1 cup Lily’s Premium Baking Chips
- 1 cup date sugar (date sugar has a significantly lower sugar content than regular sugar)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (yes, sugar… the original recipe called for 1.5 cups, so we felt a half cup was an okay compromise. Feel free to substitute low-glycemic coconut sugar or even omit altogether if you want to minimize the sugar content)
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp. milk of choice (I used almond)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
Combine dry ingredients except sugar. Combine milk, oil, vanilla, and sugar- mix and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
Use a mixer to combine the wet ingredients into the dry.
Spray an 8×8 pan with cooking spray and spread batter.
Bake at 350˚ for 25 to 30 minutes.
Allow to fully cool before cutting or removing from pan.
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 8 medjool dates (make sure pits are out!)
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. water (I added more as I processed it in the blender, but keep at 3 if want thicker)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Combine in high powered blender or food processor until smooth. Smooth on top of brownies- add some more chocolate chips on top if desired- and enjoy!
If you’re like us and can never get enough brownies, try these raw pecan brownies next!